Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This early joint stock bank was founded in 1832, its promoter being Christopher Rawson of Halifax. In 1845 new premises were built in Castle Street. In 1888, the chairman of the Bank of Liverpool declared to a special general meeting that the Liverpool Commercial Bank had been the first joint stock bank in the country to register for limited liability (1860). As part of the merger deal in 1889 shareholders in the Liverpool Commercial Bank were offered shares in the Bank of Liverpool in return for their existing stock, and three shareholders from the Liverpool Commercial Bank joined the board of the Bank of Liverpool.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • prospectus and deeds of settlement
  • board minutes
  • shareholders' minutes
  • manager's diary 1871-96
  • amalgamation papers