Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The two partnerships of Wakefield Crewdson and Co and Maude, Wilson and Crewdson united in 1840 to form the Kendal Bank. Both banks had been based on the wool business. The firm acquired smaller banks, including Petty and Postlethwaite of Ulverston (1863). The Wakefield partners were dominant, and in 1893 after the death of William Wakefield, the business was acquired by the Bank of Liverpool. The bank then had 7 full branches and 14 sub branches in Westmorland, Furness and south west Cumberland.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • partners' agreements
  • ledgers and correspondence
  • balance sheets 1883 onwards
  • balances with London agents 1870s
  • securities registers
  • customer accounts 1867 onwards
  • branch statistics 1883 onwards
  • applications for clerkships
  • photographs of partners
  • amalgamation papers