Group Archives

Group Archives

search

This was the first joint stock bank in Carlisle and was founded on 21 July 1836. By 1861 an agency had opened at Penrith but the people of Alston found this 'rather inconvenient.' By recommendation of Bainbridge and Millican, solicitors, James Millican wrote in February 1869 offering his services as agent. The Board accepted the offer, and he was paid a salary from 25 March 1869. The bank gained a reputation for being sound and well managed, and in 1882 the business of Mackie, Davidson and Gladstone of Carlisle was acquired. In 1911, the bank was taken over by the Bank of Liverpool which had already absorbed a number of other northern banks. The terms were two Bank of Liverpool shares and £8 15s for 5 Carlisle and Cumberland shares. Two Carlisle and Cumberland directors were given seats on the board of the Bank of Liverpool, Frederick Chance and Humphrey Senhouse.

Material available at Group Archives:

  • deeds of settlement
  • board minutes
  • annual reports and accounts
  • customer letters 1840s
  • shareholders' registers
  • bank note registers
  • cheques
  • amalgamation papers