De Nationale Bank der Zuid-Afrikaansche Republiek Beperkt was founded in the Transvaal on 9 August 1890. The name of the bank was changed to the National Bank of South Africa in 1902. The National Bank of South Africa acquired in 1910, the National Bank of the Orange River Colony (founded 1871), which had taken over the Bloemfontein Bank (founded 1862). In 1912 the National Bank of South Africa amalgamated with the Bank of Africa (founded 1879), which had absorbed the Oriental Bank (founded 1873), the Eastern Province Bank (founded 1838) and the Port Elizabeth Bank (founded 1846). In 1914 the National Bank of South Africa absorbed the Natal Bank (founded 1854). In 1919 Barclays bought shares in National Bank of South Africa. This was part of the grand scheme of Frederick Goodenough (Barclays Chairman 1917-1934) to establish a commercial bank for the British Empire, providing its citizens with domestic banking facilities along British lines throughout the sterling area, and able to transfer funds through London to any part of the bank as desired. Accordingly, when the National Bank of South Africa was acquired outright it was absorbed within Barclays Bank (Dominion, Colonial and Overseas) when this was created in 1925 by act of parliament, as part of the same transaction, being a re-incorporation of the Colonial Bank (see entries for that bank and for Barclays International).
Material available at Group Archives:
- memorandum and articles
- London Committee minutes 1891 onwards
- annual reports and accounts 1910 onwards
- amalgamation papers