Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Formed in 1854 as Natal Bank at Pietermaritzburg, the bank was incorporated locally in 1859, its principal customer being the Natal government. The business was reconstructed in 1888 and its name changed to Natal Bank Ltd. A period of rapid growth culminated in the bank's acquisition by the National Bank of South Africa in 1914, by which time there were 38 branches and agencies, mainly in Natal and Transvaal.

Material available at Group Archives: London Committee minutes 1890-1914; agreement for sale of business 1914.