Barclays Bank (France) was a private company originally registered in 1922 as Barclays Bank (Overseas) Ltd. to acquire the banking business of Cox and Co (France), a company in which Barclays inherited a shareholding through its acquisition of the London, Provincial and South Western Bank in 1918. The company was set up as a subsidiary of Barclays Bank Ltd. The Head Office was at 54 Lombard Street where the Secretary had an office, and the board meetings were held there. The chief banking office was in Paris where one or more of the directors resided. By a special resolution passed at an EGM on 4 Feb 1926 the name of the company was changed to Barclays Bank (France) Ltd from 1 July, and was so confirmed on 4 March. In 1967-68, the business was incorporated locally as Barclays Bank S A, which took over the operations of Barclays Bank (France) in France and Monaco and remained a wholly owned subsidiary of Barclays Bank Ltd. In 1993 this became Barclays Bank PLC, France, a full branch of Barclays Bank PLC. In 1968, the original company Barclays Bank (France) Ltd was renamed as Barclays Bank (London and International) and was used to form part of Barclays Merchant Bank.
Material available at Group Archives: memorandum and articles; accounting papers; advances books 1929-34.