Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Incorporated locally as a subsidiary of Barclays Bank (DCO) in 1971, it expanded by taking over First Westchester Bank in 1974, acquired branches from the Bankers Trust in 1980 and bought Bankers Trust of Hudson Valley in 1982. As part of the Barclays Group's programme of disposing of non-core businesses, the bank was sold to the Bank of New York in 1992. Barclays' original presence in New York dates from the Colonial Bank's agency opened in 1890; the National Bank of South Africa opened an agency in 1915. A full branch was established by Barclays Bank (DCO) in 1963, a local board being established in 1970.

Material available at Group Archives: publicity material; statistics; pre-1971 material classed as Barclays International, where material relating to the Bank's operations post-1971 also available.