Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Barclays inherited the National Bank of South Africa's presence in Swaziland, which dates from 1897. By 1925 there were two branches. Barclays' business was incorporated locally as Barclays Bank of Swaziland in 1974, Barclays Bank International retaining a 60% holding and the Swaziland government taking 40%. The kingdom of Swaziland had gained independence in 1968 and underwent rapid development, Barclays having 14 offices by 1970. In 1997, Barclays holding was sold to Standard Bank Swaziland Ltd, the businesses being merged with effect from 1 January 1998.

Material available at Group Archives: pre-1985 material classed as Barclays International.