Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Representation goes back to 1927 when Barclays Bank (DCO) opened branches at Jinja and Kampala. Uganda gained independence in 1962 and Barclays formed a local board in 1966. The business was one of the first in Africa to be incorporated locally, Barclays Bank of Uganda coming into being on 1 November 1969 with DCO holding 51% and the government 49%, by which time there were 9 full branches and 33 other offices. In 1970 the Ugandan branch of the Commercial Bank of Africa was absorbed, and in 2007, the Nile Bank was acquired. By 2001 the bank again became a wholly owned subsidiary of Barclays.

Material available at Group Archives: pre-1969 material classed as Barclays International, where material relating to the Bank's operations post-1969 also available.