Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The National Bank of South Africa opened a branch at Chipata (Fort Jameson) in 1918. In the same year it also acquired the business of the African Lakes Corporation which had a presence in the territory. Barclays formed a local board when Northern Rhodesia gained independence as Zambia in 1964. The business was incorporated locally as Barclays Bank of Zambia on 1 October 1971, a wholly owned subsidiary, by which time there were 27 full branches.

Material available at Group Archives: pre-1971 material classed as Barclays International, where material relating to the Bank's operations post-1980 also available.