Group Archives

Group Archives

search

The Bank of Africa had opened 4 branches in Southern Rhodesia since 1895, before amalgamating with the National Bank of South Africa in 1912. The National Bank of South Africa had opened two branches of its own in 1911, and became part of Barclays Bank (DCO) in 1925. Because independence was delayed between 1965 and 1980, this business was among the last of Barclays' businesses in Africa to be localised. On 1 June 1981 Barclays Bank of Zimbabwe was incorporated as a wholly owned subsidiary of Barclay Bank International. In 1992 the holding was reduced to 70% after a public share offer to sell 30% was oversubscribed.

Material available at Group Archives: pre-1980 material classed as Barclays International, where material relating to the Bank's operations post-1980 also available.