The Anglo-Egyptian Bank, which was acquired by Barclays in 1920, and went on to become part of Barclays Bank (Dominion, Colonial and Overseas) in 1925, had operated branches in Nicosia and Larnaca from 1878, as well as having a resident agent. Barclays DCO opened a branch at Nicosia in 1937, soon after establishing branches at Famagusta and Limassol. These were overseen by the Palestine Local Head Office. In the mid 1950s, Araxie Yaghlian became Barclays first overseas female head clerk, working at the Bank's Episkopi military agency. Expansion continued, and by 1965, there were ten DCO offices in Cyprus. By 1992, Barclays was the only remaining British bank in the country, employing over 330 staff as well as offering a full retail banking service. However, the onshore business was then sold to the Hellenic Bank Limited in 1996. 2008 saw the relaunch of Barclays Wealth within the country, following a ceremony held at Limassol.
All information is correct as of August 2015.