The Anglo-Egyptian Bank, which was acquired by Barclays in 1920, and went on to become part of Barclays Bank (Dominion, Colonial and Overseas) in 1925, first operated an agency in the colony of Gibraltar in 1888. Following this, the Anglo-Egyptian Bank went on to establish the first branch by a non-local bank in 1920. During World War Two, DCO became the most important bank on the island, and conducted the accounts of HM Treasury Chest, the Government of Gilbratar, and the City Council, as well as the bulk of business for the armed forces. In 1955, Barclays went on to form an exchange bureau at the Waterport Ferry, and then later in 1964, opened a second branch on Main Street. Further branches followed in Irish Town and at the airport, and Barclaycard was launched on the island in 1968. In 2015, retail operations in Gibraltar ceased, leaving a corporate banking and wealth management service within the country.
All information is correct as of August 2015.