Group Archives

Group Archives

search

Monaco

Entered market 1921

In 1918, Barclays Bank Ltd became a shareholder in Cox and Co (France) Ltd. Following the armistice that same year, Cox and Co (France) Ltd established several new branches, including one in Monte Carlo, which opened in 1921. The following year, Barclays Bank (Overseas) Ltd was formed to take over Cox and Co (France), which became a wholly owned subsidiary of Barclays Bank Ltd. The name of the company was changed in 1926 to Barclays Bank (France) Ltd, in an effort to avoid confusion with Barclays Bank (Dominion, Colonial and Overseas). By 1993, the business in Monaco had become a separate branch of Barclays Bank PLC. In 2007, Barclays launched the Barclays Wealth Card for high net worth and affluent clients in Geneva and Monaco. All information is correct as of August 2015.

Monaco